Pinterest Hover Button

Taking Chances | Book Review



Hey guys. Just finished reading Taking Chances via Molly McAdams. This is a hugely popular book and the companion book, Stealing Harper was just released this past week.
This book has emotion. Wow, does it have emotion. I was up the other day at 3:30 in the morning due to rough weather passing through. Hey, it's Kansas. Thunder snow, tornadoes and hot dry weather are common place here, but I couldn't go back to sleep.
I found myself on the couch curled up with my Kindle reading Taking Chances and the most emotional part of the book. My husband wakes up for work, looks around all confused as to why I'm awake and ugly crying, but I just put my Kindle in front of my face and pretend like he didn't see me.
3 main characters in this book....you know, the love triangle. Harper, Brandon and Chase. Lots of supporting characters, and boy do they support, in more ways than one.
Here is my water down version of the synopsis. Harper has a very strict military upbring, via only her Dad. She moves to California and spreads her wings. Gets her lip pierces, wears age appropriate clothing and even gets a tattoo. She knows that she is going to date and maybe even lose her viginity while she is at college. What she didn't know was that she would fall in love with two guys equally withing 2 weeks of arriving.
So, without giving away the whole damn book, because it is on of those books that you just can't give the plot away, almost like a mystery, I give you my review.
The first half of Taking Chances I was so into it. I was feeling it. I was right there with Harper not knowing who to pick. Who to love. Who she loves more. Who can give her a great life. Who to marry. When this humongous twist happened, I feel like the book peaked.
The story continued without any big drama. It just went on and on and on and on. I found myself skimming tons of the last 30% of the book, often times just reading the dialogue between the characters and not their thoughts, and I didn't seem to miss any of the story.
I feel like McAdams was on a great path with this book, had a great idea with this book, but in her attempt to wrap the story up in a nice bow, the book fell flat. I feel like this book, and like Dexter, it should have ended 2 seasons ago.
Now, there are tons and tons and tons of people who love this book and are willing to put yourself through all the emotion of Stealing Harper. I applaud you for that because I lived the book once, and the twist once, and I just can't do it again.
I haven't read any of McAdams other books and I do plan to read more from her. I met her when we were at the RT Convention in Kansas City this year and she is an amazing person. So nice, willing to chat with fans and funny. I recommended everyone to connect with her anyway that is convenient for you because she is easy to talk to.

Website
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment